The Guelph Scanning Proton Microprobe Laboratory
The GSPM lab has been providing PIXE and Micro-PIXE analysis and imaging to scientists from many disciplines since 1987. The GSPM staff and the external collaborators have been involved in a wide variety of research including:
- Scanning studies of zoned mineral specimens.
- Profiling of growth rings in fish otoliths.
- Spot analyses of mineral grains (sulfides, silicates, etc.)
- Multi-layer thin film analysis of solar cells.
- Location of heavy metals in soil specimens due to application of sewage sludge
- Trace element profiling in electrical insulators.
- Analysis of electrodes used in electrolytic refining of sulfide ores.
- Analysis of air particulate collected on various sampler types at remote and urban locations.
- Geo-archaeology using analysis of sediment sections